AUSTRALIAN TEAM FOR 2015 UCI ROAD WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS
Cycling Australia is pleased to announce the team selections for the 2015 UCI Road World Championships to be held in Richmond, USA, from 20-27 September 2015.
A well-rounded nine member men’s road race team has been selected following a 2015 season which has seen Australia collect 15 UCI World Tour wins, and almost 50 wins in total across the world in 2015, to move to seventh on UCI World Tour Rankings.
The team will be spearheaded by 2014 road race silver medallist Simon Gerrans (VIC) and former under 23 road world champion Michael Matthews (ACT) who has netted a multitude of stage wins in 2015 including wearing the leader’s jerseys at Paris-Nice and the Giro d’Italia.
Veterans Simon Clarke (VIC), Mathew Hayman (ACT) and Rory Sutherland (ACT) will provide valuable leadership to the team, with strong manAdam Hansen (QLD) and reigning national Heinrich Haussler (NSW) bolstering Australia’s options in the peloton.
Former under 23 representatives Mitchell Docker (VIC) and Jay McCarthy (QLD) will make their debut in the men’s team.
Underpinning the elite men’s nominations is a solid list of reserves identified by national selectors who will be on stand by and ready for a call up for race day.
Rohan Dennis (SA), who in July became the seventh Australia to hold the leader’s yellow jersey at the Tour de France, will lead Australia’s charge in the time trial, along with reigning Oceania champion Michael Hepburn (QLD). With Australia earning three positions in the time trial, a final team announcement will be made closer to the Championships with 2011 under 23 world champion and former national champion Luke Durbridge (WA) highlighted as a potential inclusion.
With Australia boasting 16 wins on the women’s international stage in 2015 and moving from ninth to fourth in the UCI rankings, the eight-member women’s team is bursting with form and talent.
2012 world championship silver medallist Rachel Neylan (ACT) is fresh from claiming her first overall UCI victory at the Trophée d’Or last week, while Loren Rowney (QLD) recently celebrated dual wins in France.
Following a consistent 2015 from Tiffany Cromwell (SA) which has included a number of top ten finishes, the South Australian is well poised to improve on her fifth place in last year’s road race.
Former road national champions Gracie Elvin (ACT) and Amanda Spratt (NSW) have returned to form in 2015 and will add valuable experience, as will reigning Oceania champion Lauren Kitchen (NSW).
Elizabeth Williams (VIC) returns to the team after a breakthrough season, while reigning Oceania time trial champion Katrin Garfoot (QLD) will fly the Australian flag in the time trial and will also contest the road race.
The five-member under 23 team features Jack Haig (VIC) who last week became just the second Australian to finish on the podium at the Tour de l’Avenir, reigning national road and time trial champion Miles Scotson (SA) plus reigning Para-cycling road and track world champion Alistair Donohoe (VIC). Harry Carpenter (SA) and Nicholas Schultz (QLD) round out the team.
The 2015 under 19 Australian team named in July includes 2014 World Championship time trial bronze medallists Michael Storer (WA) and Anna-Leeza Hull (NSW) and debutants Samuel Jenner (NSW), Harry Sweeny (QLD) and Jessica Pratt (QLD).
- Michael MATTHEWS, 24 (ACT) @blingmatthews
- Simon GERRANS, 35 (VIC) @simongerrans
- Simon CLARKE, 29 (VIC) @SimoClarke
- Heinrich HAUSSLER, 31 (NSW)
- Jay McCARTHY, 22 (QLD) @JayMcCarthy1
- Adam HANSEN, 34 (QLD) @HansenAdam
- Mathew HAYMAN, 37 (ACT)
- Mitchell DOCKER, 28 (VIC) @Mitch_Bowen
- Rory SUTHERLAND, 33 (ACT) @rorysutherland1
Reserves Luke DURBRIDGE (WA), Cameron MEYER (WA), Nathan HAAS (ACT), Caleb Ewan (NSW)
- Katrin GARFOOT* 33 (QLD) @Katrin_Garfoot
- Tiffany CROMWELL, 27 (SA) @tiffanycromwell
- Gracie ELVIN, 26 (ACT) @gracieelvin
- Amanda SPRATT, 27 (NSW) @AmandaSpratt
- Elizabeth WILLIAMS, 32 (VIC) @lizziedizzie83
- Lauren KITCHEN, 24 (NSW) @LaurenKitchen1
- Loren ROWNEY, 26 (QLD) @LorenRowney
- Rachel NEYLAN, 33 (NSW) @rachneylan
* Garfoot will contest the Time Trial and Road Race.
Reserve – Carlee TAYLOR (SA)
MEN’S UNDER 23
- Harry CARPENTER, 22 (SA) @harrycarpenter6
- Alistair DONOHOE, 20 (VIC) @AlistairDonohoe
- Jack HAIG, 21 (VIC) @jackhaig93
- Nicholas SCHULTZ, 20 (QLD) @nick_schultz5
- Miles SCOTSON, 21 (SA) @MilesScotson
Time Trial positions to be finalised closer to the Championships.
- Michael STORER (18, WA)
- Harry SWEENY (17, QLD) @harry_sweeny
- Samuel JENNER (18, NSW) @SJenner0
- Anna-Leeza HULL (18, NSW) @AnnaLeezaHull
- Jessica PRATT (17, QLD) @jesspratt97
Join the #aussiecycling conversation